Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Gramma's house

I don't have any memories of living anywhere before we lived with Little in her house in Harvey. It was a row house that was the last one on the block. A lumber yard was next to it, with a cement wall running along the property. Across the street was a large field. A blacksmith shop was down the street run by an elderly couple. I liked to visit with "the blacksmith lady". The front of the house had cement steps and a wooden door. You walked right into the small front room and could see all the way into Gramma's father's bedroom at the back of the house. There was a window next to the door and a table in the corner. That's where the only telephone was. Gramma's room was next to the front room. She had a full size bed that was on a spring foundation. It squeaked every time anyone got on the bed. There was a dresser and mirror across from the bed. I think there may have been a rocking chair in there, because I can remember her rocking me many times. The kitchen was in the back of the house with a door to the backyard. A small sidewalk led to the garage. I loved riding my tricycle on that sidewalk. I don't remember the other rooms,but Kenny's crib was set up along a wall before the kitchen door. I think it was a dining area as part of the front room. I don't remember where Mom slept, but I got to sleep with Gramma in her room. She would snuggle with me and "rub my piggies" until I fell asleep.

 

No comments: